Tuesday 28 April 2015

The blog with no title

I am having a really hard time writing this blog because I equal parts want to share everything with you all that has been happening to me and don’t know how to express it in a way that makes me feel good or vindicated. This is neither a fun nor happy blog post, nor is it a situation that I feel I have any control over. I have been having a hard time figuring out the tone and the content that I wish to share. I want to be thorough but I am finding that hard to do that in a way that is without bitterness and resentment.

Without being melodramatic, I am going through a period of loss right now: loss for words, loss of any semblance of sense, and a loss community.   I am reading Amy Poehler’s book and she says "Any painful experience will make you look at things differently" and I find myself fighting demons that threaten to taint the memories of an amazing past 16 months of my life. These past few weeks have been an extremely sad, painful and mind-boggling. On March 27, I got a call from Peace Corps, very unexpectedly, that I was being medically separated from my service. Meaning that I would not be allowed to return to Morocco to finish my service.

If you are someone who knows me, you may understand how deeply and truly devastating this news was received. This devastation was only expounded by the vague and misused information in which Peace Corps used to justify this decision. 

Peace Corps as an organization often reminds us that we have to accept certain aspects of our community… i.e. that we cannot change everything about our host country. For volunteers in Morocco, this comes in the form of dealing with a heavy amount of sexual harassment and unwanted attention or even worse. For me, this has come in forms such as: men stalking me, men publically masturbating at me, sexual propositions, a home break-in attempt, a threat to my life, two separate sexual assaults…
Peace Corps as an organization also tells us that we need to advocate for ourselves. I am told that I need to accept these acts against me as things that will not change, but I did want, and still do want, to advocate for a change in the way that Peace Corps deals with these acts with systemic policy changes. Mental health policies and victim blaming attitudes within Peace Corps should change. Period.
I have expressed this sentiment to Peace Corps Washington DC and in a sexual harassment focus group last winter.
My experiences that I have shared and suggestions that I have made have, sadly, not been received well. Someone with a relatively high-up position within OMS responded to me when I told him of a naked, masturbating man following me that perhaps it was a “sign of his romantic interest” in me. **Oh you’re right, I should be so flattered** (bitterness coming out). It seems that things that I said in this confidential focus group are being used as grounds for my medical separation because they feel “concerned about my wellbeing.” Concerned, or uncomfortable by my honesty?
I am a strong volunteer, and I am happy with my life in Peace Corps. After getting a site change in early Fall last year because of an unsafe site, I felt so at home in my new community. Within a few months I had already created such a healthy, positive network in site--- both with my work and with the community. I did not even get to say good-bye to any of these people who have done so much for me. For that, I feel so much resent and sadness.
There are so many details about this decision and process that are flat out lies or were used out of context and the unfortunate part is that none of it is something that I can swallow because none of it makes any sense. I have no medical condition.
Staff members in DC have told me that I seem “unable to adjust to my host country” which infuriates me in so many ways, most of all because it is being said by people who don’t know me at all. They are just reading from a list of crimes that have been committed against me and blaming me for them in the actions they are taking.
I have been absolutely amazed, touched to tears, drowned in, feel so undeserving of, (the list goes on and on) the support and love that I have received from those of you that I have told this information to. So many people have reached out to the Country Director or other people on my behalf and for that I just feel so grateful to my Peace Corps family. You all mean so much to me in the most sappy and cheesy way that I can express.
You are all welcome to visit me in Germany because, so bizarrely, I find myself applying for grad school now a year or two earlier than I expected.

For those of you wanting to know more, I am not ashamed or embarrassed to share more details and would love to send anyone more information.


As of yesterday, April 27th,  I have been told that my appeal was not accepted and that I will not be returning to Morocco. 

3 comments:

  1. Cristen, I'm very sorry to hear about your med sep. There is no shame in this and your Peace Corps family as well as the community you impacted are proud of you and grateful for your service.

    As unaccompanied personnel, we are at a high risk of assault. I myself have been sexually assaulted, as a male! The situation brought to light that the structures in place to deal with these sorts of incidents are woefully inadequate- despite the introduction of restricted reporting and the SARL position.

    Victims are too often discouraged from reporting or seeking help in the aftermath of crime due to fear of a negative outcome for their service- as happened in your case it seems. I am very interested in working on a larger, more inclusive, investigative piece on this subject including PCVs and RPCVs who may wish to speak out about similar experiences. Please get in touch with me if this interests you (csethna[at]gmail[dot]com).

    Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the most inspirationak person I've ever met. Follow that golden heart o yours and you'll make the world shine brighter! Muchos peace and love scoom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen

    Sorry to bother you.  My name is Ray Blakney and I am an RPCV from Mexico (2006-2008). Very inspirational stories you're sharing here. I am working on a 3rd goal project with the PC regional offices and the main office in DC to try to create an online archive to keep the language training material made all over the world from getting lost.  I have created a sub-section on the website my wife and I run Live Lingua with all the information I have been able to get to date (from over the web and sent to me directly by PC staff and PCV's).  I currently have close to 100 languages with ebooks, audios, and even some videos. 
     
    The next step for this project is that I am trying to get the word out about this resource so that it can not only be used by PCV's or those accepted into the Peace Corps, but also so that when people run across material that is not on the site they can send it to me and I can get it up for everybody to use.  I was hoping that you could help getting the word out by putting a link on this on your site here, so that people know it is there.  There should be something there for almost everybody.  It is all 100% free to use and share.  Here is the specific page to what we call the Live Lingua Project:

    http://www.livelingua.com/project/

    Thanks for any help you can provide in making this 3rd goal project a success.   And if anybody in your group has some old material they can scan or already have in digital form, and want to add to the archive, please don't hesitate to pass them my email.  Thanks and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete